Hola a todas y todos,
I’m dropping in to say Happy Thanksgiving from all of us at Vamos a Leer and to share a few sources with you for dispelling myths during this holiday season.
- National Geographic has activities for the classroom that highlight the Native American perspective on the arrival of the Pilgrims and the significance of the Thanksgiving holiday.
- In an article Sussex highlights Native American meanings/perspectives of Thanksgiving
- PBS questions the meaning and teaching of Thanksgiving in an Opinion article.
- PBS also provides a list of resources for teaching about Thanksgiving.
- Salon news source describes Thanksgiving as “a day of mourning for Native Americans.
- William Loren Katz with the Zinn Ed Project questions the Eurocentric teaching of Thanksgiving in an article titled “The Politics of Thanksgiving Day”
- Rethinking School’s older article on “Rethinking Thanksgiving Myths and Misgivings” is still relevant several years after its publication
- For specific lesson plans and related materials, we recommend this Google doc of “A Racial Justice Guide to Thanksgiving for Educators and Families.”
We also encourage you to check out our Rethinking Thanksgiving tab on our blog for more posts and resources about Thanksgiving. Stay tuned for more Indigenous Peoples books next week!